Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Integrated Health Tip #3: Do It in the Morning!

I have been doing yoga fairly consistently for about 12 years now. I was not seeking enlightenment when I began nor am I now. I don't chant, don't say om and only skimmed the  Yoga Sutra and The Baghavad Gita. I started doing yoga because I had a severe knee injury. During a particularly arduous ceremony I stretched and inflamed the meniscus on my right knee. Fortunately it did not tear but it became inflamed to the point where even pain killers did not help. After I got home I picked through a book I had on stress and found 12 simple yoga exercises. That's where it all began. Because I  live in an isolated rural area, the nearest class was over an hour's drive away. I had neither the money or the time
Over time I graduated to Rodney Yee DVD's. From there I moved to a free online site called Yoga Today, http://yogatoday.com/. I believe they charge money today but at that time it was free. I could download three classes at a time on my laptop at work and then do them at my leisure at home. I did my yoga practice this way for years. Every now and then my sister, an experienced yogini would give me some tips. When I finally found a teacher I had been doing yoga for about five years.
Among all the skills I have learned over the years, the most important is the value of a morning practice. If I don't do my yoga in the morning, I may not do it at all that day. After work there may be meetings or crises or any one of a number of distractions.If you feel like you want to begin a practice or are already practicing just remember:
Do it in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment